WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
WW1 Uboat 66
Posted by: john haskell ()
Date: October 22, 2008 10:37PM

A few years ago while diving with a cypriot friend we got talking about this 'sub' that had suposidly sunk just off the coast during the war, 75 meters deep and fishermen had complained of a snag in this area ever since (fact) This story was told to him by his father a fisherman. After listening to this I passed it off as just a 'fishermans tale' and thought no more of it.

Once back home in sunny Wales bored one winters evening I decided to search the net and left a few questions on different wreck and dive web sites but nobody could come up with any info. Except for one reply which pointed me in the correct direction I had been looking for a WW2 sub infact it was WW1. He gave me the link to this site nd I found it www.uboat.net/wwi/boats/index.html?boat=UB+66 . Which lists U boat 66 as going down in the Famagusta area. The area of the 'story'.

Next time I was in Cyprus I spent three weeks searching the supposed area, I came accros extensive scarring in the very steep sea bed just off the reef, and very definate poisoning/ polution of the sea grass. I have been assured that heavy oils and battery acid would poison the sea bed for years to come. Have not been back since, tho think about it every day.

How would i verify the sub? If any one is intersted please feel free to email me. johnyhog@live.com Cant afford a side scan sonar, camera is no good and dived there to 55 meters and keep getting 'narced' to hell.
one day I'll get to dive it. john

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
WW1 Uboat 66 john haskell 10/22/2008 10:37PM
Re: WW1 Uboat 66 umberto 08/10/2010 06:36AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.