WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
U-Boat Confusion - Re: RMS Carmania and RMS Caronia
Posted by: ph0ebus ()
Date: January 20, 2009 07:18PM

Hi all,

I am trying to pin down where the RMS Carmania and RMS Caronia were in February 1917. My understanding is that the RMS Carmania was at that time operating as a troopship at Gallipoli; where was RMS Caronia?

Also, would it have been likely that u-boat commanders would have known where these two ships were, generally speaking? I ask because the ship I am researching was misidentified as either of the above ships by the Kplt. (Petz - of U.85) who sank her, and given the RMS Carmania was operating elsewhere (and was twice the size, and painted in a different color scheme) I am a bit confused how he could have made such an error. Were such misidentifications common?

Thanks,

-Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat Confusion - Re: RMS Carmania and RMS Caronia ph0ebus 01/20/2009 07:18PM
Re: U-Boat Confusion - Re: RMS Carmania and RMS Caronia Michael Lowrey 01/21/2009 02:13AM
Re: U-Boat Confusion - Re: RMS Carmania and RMS Caronia ph0ebus 01/22/2009 05:31PM
Re: U-Boat Confusion - Re: RMS Carmania and RMS Caronia reginald rostock 10/08/2010 08:32PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.