WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: The Sinking of the 'Franz Fisher'
Posted by: ph0ebus ()
Date: March 12, 2009 08:19PM

Hi Michael,

The link addressed the discrepancy, but not the crew's confusion, nor the sounds they heard. I agree the u-boat probably sank her (the crew describes her listing heavily to port, which to me is more indicative of a torpedo strike...if the bottom had been blown out by the zeppelin's bomb, perhaps she would have setted quite differently) but I keep getting stuck on the crew's description of the attack (i.e., the sounds). They distinctly heard the sound of some unknown aircraft, which faded then got 'deafening'. When the Captain and Chief Engineer got up to investigate, and opened the door to go out on deck, there was an explosion. My question was relating more to developing some explanation as to how what the crew heard relates to an attacking u-boat.

Of course, they could have been mixing up two events that happened a day apart in the wake of what was clearly a very traumatic event, but was hoping that someone looked into it a little deeper to try and explain the crew's auditory experiences based on what apparently happened in reality. What in the course of a u-boat's attack would have created a 'deafening' noise?

Thanks,

-Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Sinking of the 'Franz Fisher' ph0ebus 03/12/2009 04:30PM
Re: The Sinking of the 'Franz Fisher' Michael Lowrey 03/12/2009 04:59PM
Re: The Sinking of the 'Franz Fisher' ph0ebus 03/12/2009 08:19PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.