WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Brazian Ships part 2
Posted by: James Pratt ()
Date: July 09, 2009 07:09PM

This is some other info from Latin American Wars Part 2 on Brazian Ships in WW I:
On 8/9 December 1916 the merchant ship Rio Pardo was captured by German destroyers on the England to the Netherlands run.
the Macau or Macao had her Captain taken prisoner when the ship was sunk by a U-boat
the Rio Bravo is sometimes not listed as a Brazian war loss because the ship was leased to British Subjects.
The Parana was torpedod with out warning. Some of the crew could have been killed.
This book does mention that some Brazilian merchant seamen were killed when their ships were sunk but, it did not say which ships.

Also while on passage from Freetown to Dakar a Brazilian force of 2 scout cruisers 4 destroyers the tender/ depot ship Belmont and a tug believed it was attacked by a submarine. On the night of 25/26 August 1918 the Belmont sighted a torpedo track. The destroyer Rio Grande de Norte claimed to have sunk the submarine. I know no u-boat was sunk at this time and I think the sighting of the torpedo track was one of those false sightings.

Most of thes sources for the above are Brazilian. It looks like we need to contact someone from that country to find out more.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Brazian Ships part 2 James Pratt 07/09/2009 07:09PM
Re: Brazian Ships part 2 Oliver Lörscher 07/09/2009 08:17PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.