WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Plane shot down by uboat 1918?
Posted by: Oliver Lörscher ()
Date: October 25, 2016 08:29PM

Hello T.F. ...

I didn't expect an German U-Boat as the agent for C 25's loss.

The shot down or even firing of the deckgun against an Airship of course would have been reported.

The only missing boat is UB 107 but that operated to far to the South of the position in question.

From an english language book I know that C 25 (Hopperton) went out in search of an reported German U-Boat and last reported at 6.40 p.m. on July 31st, 1918, position 60 miles East of Aberdeen.

The German UB 64 which was on her way back from Ireland was fired at by two armed Trawlers on midday that day, off the Firth of Moray.

Later that day on 4.40 p.m. (German Time) UB 64 saw TWO Airships in Square 1400 E and dived. That roughly is 58°N, 00°40'E

The UB 126 which also was returning to Germany from an patrol off Ireland at 5.05 p.m. (German Time) reported TWO Airships coming up, so they dived and heard 3 explosions 20 min. later.

I'm pretty sure that C 25 went out in search of the reported UB 64, interesting to know that an second Airship must have been nearby, at least for the beginnig of the patrol. Obviously later they separated and C 25 became lost with all hands.

Would be nice to learn if C 25 or the second Airship dropped 3 bombs in the vicinity of UB 126 (against an oil patch or so? Very common those days)!

Oliver

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Plane shot down by uboat 1918? T.F 10/23/2016 03:49PM
Re: Plane shot down by uboat 1918? Oliver Lörscher 10/25/2016 08:29PM
Re: Plane shot down by uboat 1918? Tf 10/26/2016 02:42PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.