WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
New Book about the North American campaign of 1918
Posted by: sm_u_117 ()
Date: October 29, 2023 07:05PM

Greetings all,

While I've been a frequent visitor to uboat.net over the years, I haven't made myself known to the forum here. My name is Dominic Etzold, I live in NJ, USA, and I'm both a historian and collector of the Kaiserliche Marine. For those of you that also use Instagram, I run the account "u_boat_history."

I recently had a book published called "Reaping the Whirlwind: The U-Boat War off North America During WWI," which is the first comprehensive analysis of the campaign (including a brief chapter on early actions off the Azores before sending the U-Boats westward). Unlike other books out there, this uses German records and war diaries as the starting point and then analyzes them against similar American records, finally giving an accurate, balanced, history of the U-Kreuzers (and U-117, a UEII). Many myths have been debunked and quite a bit of "hidden" history has been unearthed as well.

It is published by Schiffer Military and is available wherever books are sold (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.). I believe European distribution is being handled by Gazelle.

For those in the United States, particularly in the Northeast, I have some talks coming up where I'll be displaying items from my collection (uniforms, badges, optics, etc.) and I'd love to speak with like-minded people in person instead of behind a screen. You can DM me for more details.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
New Book about the North American campaign of 1918 sm_u_117 10/29/2023 07:05PM
Re: New Book about the North American campaign of 1918 Michael Lowrey 11/08/2023 03:52PM
Re: New Book about the North American campaign of 1918 sm_u_117 11/09/2023 04:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.