General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
The Eck Case......
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: December 31, 2001 01:37PM

<HTML>Hi all -

Am studying the various speeches etc, which were published in 1954 as a souvenir booklet after the first post-war re-union of U-boat men in Hamburg, as `Wiedersehen in Hamburg`. Included in the booklet is a section called `Der Fall Eck`, taken, so the booklet claims, `from the chapter [Kapitel] "Der Laconia Fall" in `So War der U-boot Krieg` by Busch`. I have copies both in German and English of `So war der U-boot Krieg`, so went to the German first to track the passage down, thinking that I would then be able to save myself translating-time by finding the corresponding bit in the English version. To my surprise, no `Laconia Fall` chapter in my German 1983 re-print of the 1952 edition; and I have only just realised how incredibly inadequate is the English version `U-boats at War` - which manages to cover 189 small pages as against the 428 of the original German by leaving out well over half of it; so the Laconia passage certainly doesn`t feature in there.

I offer this to the phorum for several reasons;

a) as a warning against thinking - as I did originally - that the paperback of `U-boats at War` is anything approaching a full translation of the German ! (Nowhere does my copy acknowledge that it is a very abridged version - which seems naughty to me.)
b) because I wonder whether a full translation into English has in fact been done. My `U-boats at War` is the Panther paperback, dated 1956. Is that an abridged version of the Putnam 1955 edition ?
c) because I`m puzzled as to what happened to the aforesaid `Laconia incident chapter` in `So war..........`. Is it in fact somewhere there under another heading ? Was it removed ? And if so, anyone know why ? I`m aware of course that both the Laconia incident and the Eck case were the subject of much debate at the time - could it be that the whole topic was considered too controversial for inclusion ?

If any members have copies of the above, I`d be very grateful if they could do a quick check - or indeed for any thoughts they may have on the matter.

Best regards - and a very Happy New Year to all; looking forward to a Birkenheaders` re-union in due course !

Frank</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Eck Case...... Frank 12/31/2001 01:37PM
Re: The Eck Case...... Torlef 01/01/2002 05:24AM
Re: The Eck Case...... Frank 01/01/2002 08:54AM
Re: The Eck Case...... Frank 01/01/2002 08:56AM
Re: The Eck Case...... Torlef 01/02/2002 01:27AM
Re: The Eck Case...... Frank 01/02/2002 03:44PM
Re: The Eck Case...... oliver 01/02/2002 05:40PM
Re: The Eck Case...... Frank 01/02/2002 08:45PM
Re: The Eck Case...... Frank 01/03/2002 06:29AM
Re: The Eck Case...... oliver 01/03/2002 06:53PM
Re: The Eck Case...... Frank 01/03/2002 11:29PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.