General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Maritime graves, protection.
Posted by: Ron ()
Date: November 13, 2001 11:12AM

<HTML>Hi Vin

Very interesting
I note that the German government has been asked to select one U-boat in British waters to be nominated as a war-grave. I would have thought that all lost warships where men died on them and went down with the ship should be treated in the same way, no matter what nationality.
However if there any Germans out there that would like to put a U-boat forward, can I suggest U 1274, 7.5 miles ESE of the Longstone on the Farne Islands off Northumberland, in position N 55 37 028 W000 25 672. The boat sank the 8,966-ton motor tanker ATHELDUKE before she was depth charged by the old destroyer VICEROY on 16 April 1945. The wreck lies in 65m and is still intact and undisturbed to date, with all the hatches still sealed, although the stern end is badly smashed from the charges. Oberleutnant Hans Hermann Fitting and all of her 44 crew were lost with the boat. It would be nice if she could be left in peace.

Cheers Ron</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Maritime graves, protection. Vin 11/13/2001 08:38AM
Re: Maritime graves, protection. Ron 11/13/2001 11:12AM
Re: Maritime graves, protection. John Griffiths 11/13/2001 05:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.