General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Interesting
Posted by: Rick Joshua ()
Date: December 12, 2001 07:07AM

<HTML>Dietzsch,

I could not agree more. The problem is that this attitude is borne out of what is little more than ignorance and the resulting unwillingness of some people to listen to alternative views on the subject. The degree of this ignorance pretty much depends on the arm of which one is talking/writing.

In my experience, discussion of the Kriegsmarine or Luftwaffe is pretty much now accepted in the main - I am currently working on a site about U47 and the reaction I have had from friends and colleagues has been pretty neutral. However, I am also very interested in a number of Waffen-SS Ritterkreuzträger, and the response to this has been the usual - "The SS!!! They killed people in those camps didn't they!!!" No amount of data changes the minds of these people - in their mind, someone like tank commander Michael Wittmann (to whom I have dedicated a section on my personal website) is in the same basket as Adolf Eichmann. All that was needed to convince my girlfriend, for example, was the Totenkopf on Wittmann's Feldmütze. I simply was too tired to argue that the man was a tank commander and decorated war hero, and never been near a concentration camp, let alone set foot in one.

People will always need to be provided with further information on what happened in WW2, and this is why sites like uboat.net are invaluable.

Rick
www.rickjoshua.com
www.u47.org (work in progress!)</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Discussion on Criminality of U-boat men Jonathan Bennet 12/04/2001 11:34PM
Interesting Dietzsch 12/06/2001 09:10AM
Re: Interesting Rick Joshua 12/12/2001 07:07AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.