General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Shell fired at uboat off Galveston?
Posted by: klessa ()
Date: July 06, 2011 06:34PM

I am the proud owner of something that's been passed down from my grandfather, a brass shell that allegedly was fired at a uboat off Galveston during WWII. I can't recall details of whether he picked this up off a boat or from onshore. My grandfather was not in the military, but he was constantly down at the docks and on board various ships in the area so not sure. I would love to find out some information from someone -- from the historical accounts there didn't seem to be much of a US naval presence, nor defense other than the bunkers that are still found on Galveston Island today. The brass shell itself stands about 4-5 feet tall (a carved wood end was placed into it to 'complete' the shell). Can't really see any markings on it but would be happy to send precise measurements if that would help anyone. Was this type of shell fired from land on the island?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Shell fired at uboat off Galveston? klessa 07/06/2011 06:34PM
Re: Shell fired at uboat off Galveston? Hans.Mair@U-35.com 07/06/2011 11:56PM
Re: Shell fired at uboat off Galveston? Derek Waller 07/08/2011 04:12PM
Re: Shell fired at uboat off Galveston? Hans.Mair@U-35.com 07/08/2011 05:33PM
Re: Shell fired at uboat off Galveston? Derek Waller 07/08/2011 10:12PM
Re: Shell fired at uboat off Galveston? klessa 07/08/2011 06:49PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.