General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
POW programme itv
Posted by: chris lee ()
Date: January 04, 2002 12:21AM

<HTML>Did anyone see the tv programme on ITV recently, about German POWS in Yorkshire camps? One interesting thing was the Nickname given by the British guards to captured U boat crew .Apparantly, they were referred to as "the blue S.S". I havent come across this one before. Is there any fact to it or just hearsay? I have taped it to send to my old UBoat friend back home in Tas. He was in a camp near Thirsk, and worked at a nearby farm after the wars end.

All this reminds me of an event my late parents told me.The first Christmas after the war had ended, my Father who had just returned from Graz, and demobbed was walking through Sheffield town centre on Christmas day, when he saw what could only be described as a forlorn looking fellow in a German overcoat, and tattered Uniform, hiding from the harsh weather.
My father took him back to my Grandparents house and shared with him, what little Christmas dinner they had. The German didnt speak any English, and apart from the usual Tommy German, and a bit of Italian, My old dad couldnt speak any German.The day went well however, and the guest enjoyed his meal.My grandparents ended up giving him some warm clothes and a few bits to eat, and set him on his way, with a bottle of Stout ale.
I often wonder who he was, and how he came to be in Sheffield.He would have only been 18 or 19 years old, as were. my parents.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
POW programme itv chris lee 01/04/2002 12:21AM
Re: POW programme itv Tom Iwanski 01/04/2002 05:05PM
Re: POW programme itv Frank 01/04/2002 05:53PM
Re: POW programme itv Frank 01/04/2002 05:54PM
Re tom Iwanski chris lee 01/04/2002 11:54PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.