General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Adriatic
Posted by: Yuri IL'IN ()
Date: January 07, 2002 02:13AM

<HTML>Hi Walter

I never visited Adriatic. It's not wonder that I entangled Pula and Rieka. Submarines for Austro-Hungary, Denmark and Rumania were built in Rieka. Lions of Adriatic know this city as Fiume.

<B>Denmark</B>
Whitehead &amp; Co. At Fiume [Rijeka] built three single hull boats Havmanden, Thetis, and 2nd April for Denmark in 1911-12.
They were further developments of the Holland type boats for which licenses had been obtained from the Electric Boat Company, New York.
Austro-Hungarian submarine officers naturally inspected the boats while under construction at Fiume (Rijeka) and were impressed by the good use of available space and the shipyard&rsquo;s accurate workmanship.

<B>Austro-Hungary</B>
Were there built several submarines for <em>Charska and Kralevska Mornarica</em> (KuK). U 20 et al.

<B>Romania</B>
Rumania ordered to Italy two submarines. Soon order for the second submarine was annulled, and during June 1927 on the shipyard "CHQ" in Fiume on project I. Bachichi (pardon my Italiano!) was laid only submarine <em>Delfinul</em>. Her building strongly tightened because of constant changes, introduced into the project, and the shortage of means in Rumanians after the beginning of world crisis 1929. Submarine was laed down to the water only 22.06.1930, and she commissioned only at the end 1931 in Italian Navy! Rumanians could not redeem she. In 1932 the Italians proposed to purchase <em>Delfinul</em> to Soviet Union, but Soviet commission considered submarine inappropriate for the Soviet Navy. Only during April 1936 Rumania could pay off for <em>Delfinul</em>, and 09.05.1936 was raised Rumanian ensign, and 27.06.1936 submarine arrived to Constantsa.

A Russian and an American are talking:
- When I'm in a good mood I drive a car painted a light color, says the American. When I'm busy or have a lot of troubles, I drive a darker colored car. When I go for vacation overseas, I pick a brightly colored car.
- Things are much easier in Russia, says the Russian. I was abroad only once, and there I drove a tank.

Regards,
Yuri IL'IN
Moscow Russia</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Adriatic Attila Sipos 01/06/2002 03:26PM
Re: Adriatic walter M 01/06/2002 04:45PM
Re: Adriatic Yuri IL\\\'IN 01/06/2002 08:33PM
Re: Adriatic walter M 01/06/2002 10:19PM
Re: Adriatic Yuri IL'IN 01/07/2002 02:13AM
Re: Adriatic Attila Sipos 01/07/2002 09:09AM
Re: Adriatic walter M 01/07/2002 03:00PM
Re: Adriatic Mario 01/13/2002 11:41AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.