General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-505
Posted by: Bruce Edwards ()
Date: January 06, 2002 03:50PM

<HTML>
I'm disappointed in the way the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry has set up the U-505. First, visitors cannot walk the deck of the ship or even view it from outside. One cannot really "take in the boat" without doing so.Compare the setup in Chicago to the USS Bowfin moored at Pearl Harbor.
As many of you know, the tour of the 505 begins inside the museum in a special section. A walkway leads into the boat, which is actually situated outside of the museum. If I'm correct, holes were cut in the side of the hull to allow visitors to enter and exit fore and aft. I find this offensive from an historical point of view. Another matter of concern is the deterioration of the ship, which is exposed to the elements. The boat should be enclosed in a climate controlled bubble and not exposed to the the extremes of Chicago's weather. If the museum hasn't considered protecting the 505 in this fashion, it should. I would certainly welcome any comments or corrections.

Warm regards,
Bruce Edwards
Rutland, Vt. USA</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-505 Bruce Edwards 01/06/2002 03:50PM
Re: U-505 ray schwartz 01/06/2002 04:53PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.