General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co.
Posted by: Alcmeon ()
Date: December 21, 2011 09:08PM

Can anyone be so kind as to provide me with information about experimental mini-torpedoes used by British Commandos to carry special two-party operations during WW2? “Special Commando” by Rex Woods, published by William Kimber, London, deals about the wartime adventures of Lt-Col Robert Wilson, DSO and Bar. When Robert Wilson, then a Second-Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery, volunteered for the Commandos that were being formed little knew that as a foundation member of the Special Boat Section he, an Army officer, would be gone to war in a submarine, with a foldboat to carry him ashore and, with luck, back to the waiting submarine. By the middle of 1941 he operated along the coasts of Italy, Greece and North Africa. His daring feats brought him promotion to Captain and won him his first DSO. In September 1942 Wilson embarked on his tenth and last foldboat exploit, which earned him a Bar to his DSO, but also landed him in an Italian prisoner-of-war camp. I’m very interested in this operation because it took place in my geographical area. In the night between 5 an 6 September 1942 P42, later to be named Unbroken, under Lieutenant-Commander Alastair Mars, launched off Crotone, my town, a foldboat with Wilson and Bombardier Brittlebank aboard. They were able to enter the harbor for an attack on shipping with experimental mini-torpedoes. “Mini torpedo trial” is the chapter of Rex Wood’s book dealing with their mission in the foot of Italy (Crotone is on the Ionian coast of Calabria, just north of the Gulf of Squillace and south of Taranto). Likely this experimental attack went wrong because they didn’t hear the sound of the explosion after launching a mini-torpedo against the merchant ship moored in the harbor. Moreover there is no mention of an Italian ship attacked and damaged in the Crotone harbor in the Supermarina daily reports. Failed to make the rendezvous with the submarine, they paddled southwards along the coast hoping to reach Malta (!) but they were captured on the beach near Botricello, some ten miles south of Cape Rizzuto. I would like to get more information on experimental mini-torpedoes like the weapons tested by Wilson (technical details, pictures, successful operations, etc.). Can anyone help me?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Alcmeon 12/21/2011 09:08PM
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Platon Alexiades 12/25/2011 04:32PM
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Alcmeon 12/25/2011 07:03PM
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Platon Alexiades 12/25/2011 10:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.