General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co.
Posted by: Platon Alexiades ()
Date: December 25, 2011 10:52PM

Hi Alcmeon,

As far as I know there were only three commando operations on the eastern coast of Calabria:
HMS UPRIGHT on 27/28 May 1941 (target: train near 38°19' N, 16°37' E) by Lt. Schofield of Royal Fusiliers and 5 other ranks. Result?
HMS UTMOST on 27/28 August 1941 (target: bridge near 39°50' N, 16°31' E) by Wilson and Hughes some damage and minor interruption to traffic.
P.42 on 5/6 September 1942 (target: merchant ship in Crotone) by Wilson and Hughes.
The last two are covered in the book "Special Commando" as you know and it is the best book to cover your area. I do not know of any details of the first one, the commandos managed to return to the submarine but results were unknown.
The information can usually be gathered from the submarine patrol reports which are located in the National Archives of London but many special operation documents are hard to find as they are disseminated in many files.
I may be able to answer specific questions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too.

Platon

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Alcmeon 12/21/2011 09:08PM
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Platon Alexiades 12/25/2011 04:32PM
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Alcmeon 12/25/2011 07:03PM
Re: Experimental mini-torpedoes, HMS Unbroken & Co. Platon Alexiades 12/25/2011 10:52PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.