General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-boat in the South Pacific
Posted by: Robin ()
Date: January 11, 2002 01:13AM

<HTML>To: Keith
To the best of my knowledge the only German U-boat to venture into South Pacific waters was the U862 commanded by Timm. He sailed south of Australia, then on to New Zealand before returning again via the south of Australia to base. He sank 2 ships during the patrol. One off the southeast coast of Australia and the other on the return in the Indian Ocean. A couple of other boats were headed for the Pacific but were lost enroute to allied submarines.
The wreck is probably a Japanese boat. I am not sure exactly where this island is in the Pacific but I do remember a Japanese boat being sunk close in shore to an island by a couple of N.Z Corvettes. The codebreakers were concerned at the time because they thought that the Japanese may have been worried about the allies boarding the sub and obtaining secret codes and that the Japanese would change their codes.
Regards
Robin Edwards</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boat in the South Pacific Keith Lloyd 01/10/2002 08:56PM
Re: U-boat in the South Pacific carl 01/10/2002 09:35PM
Re: U-boat in the South Pacific Robin 01/11/2002 01:13AM
Re: U-boat in the South Pacific Parade 01/11/2002 06:35AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.