General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: A good IJN book?
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: January 30, 2002 12:08PM

<HTML>Hi Jeff,

I agree with you, it's hard to find a good IJN book. What I really look for and enjoy are books that not only help me see the battles from the author's eyes, but those who set tactical battles within a larger strategic framework. Why were their naval assets used as they were? If anyone can offer up the title of a book they feel explains IJN strategy, I'd be grateful, too.

I read a book called "Sunk" by a IJN sub captain, with a postword by a guy who was an IJN staff weenie. His 10 pages or so help me understand what IJN strategy was and why they fought their navy as they did. Seems like this book was written in the mid-50s.

Samuel Eliot Morison's first book in the series titled "History of US Naval Operations in WWII" is all about the relations between the US and Japan during the period between WWI and WWII. This lays the groundwork explaining how the US and Japan built their navies and developed strategy as they warily eyed each other as a likely opponent.

Ed Layton's book about Pearl Harbor talks about his time in Japan as a naval officer, and playing cards with Yamamoto. He provides firsthand insight into personalities of the IJN. You'll also enjoy his spirited defense of Ad. Husband Kimmel, and his attacks on Ad. Turner when he ran the War Dept just prior to WWII. Turner demanded control of all 'active' intel, and refused to let ONI offer interpretations of intel they had gathered.

My library's website has crashed at the moment, so I'll post the "Sunk" authors' names and available details later.

Jack</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
A good IJN book? Jeff 01/28/2002 05:48AM
Re: A good IJN book? Max von Schuler 01/28/2002 10:11AM
Re: A good IJN book? Torlef 01/28/2002 12:55PM
Re: A good IJN book? kurt 01/28/2002 01:05PM
Re: A good IJN book? walter M 01/28/2002 05:18PM
Re: A good IJN book? Jack 01/30/2002 12:08PM
Re: A good IJN book? ludovic 01/30/2002 01:12PM
Re: A good IJN book? Jack 01/30/2002 01:14PM
Details of &quot;Sunk&quot; Jack 01/30/2002 01:13PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.