General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-31 casualties on 11 March 1940
Posted by: Laurent Rizzotti ()
Date: March 11, 2004 07:52PM

<HTML>Hi all,

I am searching a list of the 58 men lost aboard this ship on 11 March 1940. Some (a source says 12 of them) were shipyard workers, most probably civilian.

I have a list of 48 men lost with this submarine on this date. By checking the Volksbund site (that has usually all submariners listed), I saw that most of them are listed twice: one for the submariners memorial and one for the cemetery roll, as most of the dead were recovered when the wreck was raised, I suppose.
The death date for the submariners memorial is 12/Mar/1940 but that is not unusual.

So I have 5 sailors lost at sea (only once in Volksbund base) and a sixth buired in Cuxhaven. The latter's date of death is given as 21 March 1940, that is probably the date the corpse was washed by the sea on the coast. That happens frequently.
As the submarine was surprised on the surface and sunk by bombs, I guess that 6 sailors may well have been on the deck at the time of the attack and so not recovered with the raising of the wreck.

The remaining 42 men are all buried in Wilhelmshaven-Ehrenfriedhof Block Ea in the following graves:

Grab 105-108 : Schnittger, Gundel, Güther, Rosemann
Grab 110-127 : Dietzel, Bollmann, Wildt, Frank, Weis, Ölsner, Pigorsch, Hörning, Lurz, Wustrow, Kammer, Oswald, Haas, Czarnosiak/Czarnasiak, Krellenberg, Manthee, Reck, Renner
Grab 129-134 : Vetter, Reinsdorf, Essig, Bandemer, Müller, Altmeyer
Grab 138: Wichmann
Grab 140: Ebeling
Grab 142-150 : Gerdes, Thomas, Schmidt, Wiedbrauck, Wegener, Grunert, Hoffmann, Tieböhl, Habekost
Grab 183: Selhart
Grab 190: Wirtz
Grab 202: Onnen

Here typos are possible on the base, Selhart can be in grave 128 and Wirtz in grave 109, that will be coherent with the alphanetical series.

Anyway there are some gaps between the graves: 109, 128, 135-137, 139, 141.
Maybe the men in these graves are the civilians lost with the U-31 ? I would like to know their names and death date.

So if anyone may check this, or provide me with the list of the men lost with U-31 but not part of her crew, Iwill be very grateful.

As far as I know, if 10 or 12 German civilians were lost with the U-31, they were AFAIK the first to fall under the bombs of the RAF in WWII.

Thanks in advance</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-31 casualties on 11 March 1940 Laurent Rizzotti 03/11/2004 07:52PM
Re: U-31 casualties on 11 March 1940 Webmaster@U-35.com 03/11/2004 08:19PM
Re: U-31 casualties on 11 March 1940 Roland Berr 03/12/2004 12:30PM
Thanks Roland Laurent Rizzotti 03/12/2004 11:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.