Mutiny aboard a U-boat
Posted by: Dave ()
Date: October 10, 2004 04:24PM

I have just finished reading an extremely well written, and fascinating book by Robert Kurson called 'Shadow Divers'. About the finding and identification of a WWII U-boat off the New Jersey shore in the early 90's. That said, I believe he is in error on page 235 when he states, in part, "The allies had predicted mutinies aboard these doomed U-boats. That never happened. The Allies had expect surrender from these doomed U-boats. That never happened either".
While his point is well taken, I am certain I have read (a long time ago) about a U-boat with an unpopular captain and an ill trained crew where the crew mutinied and surrendered to a British Sunderland. I also seem to remember how the captain actually escaped from British captivity after experiencing a kind of Kangaroo Court by his fellow officers, with the idea of finding his U-boat and scuttling it. He was killed in the attempt.
I have spent a good amount of time trying to find some info about this episode on the Internet but have not been successful. Is anyone familiar with this story?

Subject Written By Posted
Mutiny aboard a U-boat Dave 10/10/2004 04:24PM
The U-boot in question... MPC 10/10/2004 09:07PM
Re: Mutiny aboard a U-boat Desiree Addinsall 07/17/2020 09:53AM