General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Elbe II -- lost u-boats
Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: February 22, 2001 03:59PM

<HTML>Jared,

Unfortunately, the three Type XXI boats inside the Elbe II bunker are in non-salvagable condition. Their fate was (and I believe still is) chronicled on this web page. Check out the \"Boats\" section and I believe Gummi has it all in detail.

The site of the bunker,itself, belongs to the city of Hamburg, and as I write this, is being filled with sand and cement in order to increase dock space in the vast Hamburg harbor.

There is (and has been for several years) an ongoing attempt in Germany to erase the past, regarding the World War II years. Well maybe \"erase\" is not the right word. Perhaps it is more like \"forget\". There have been repeated attempts by individuals, corporations, museums and such to save the U-boats in the past. But clearly the German government does not wish for that to happen.

Therefore, the boats (or what little is left of them) will be buried and lost forever.
It is truly a shame, but little can be done about it now.

There was also a Type XXIII boat in a Kiel bunker that is already shared the above fate. (See the U-boat Archive newsletter, Nov. 2000, page 31 for more info.)</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Elbe II -- lost u-boats Jared 02/21/2001 11:59PM
RE: Elbe II -- lost u-boats Julian Cope 02/22/2001 03:36PM
RE: Elbe II -- lost u-boats Jeff 02/22/2001 03:59PM
RE: Elbe II -- lost u-boats Tony 02/22/2001 04:48PM
RE: Elbe II -- lost u-boats kelley green 02/22/2001 09:16PM
RE: Elbe II -- lost u-boats Jeff 02/22/2001 11:16PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.