General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep?
Date: April 09, 2005 07:01AM

Hello everyone.

I have wondered for some time now what exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep. I have read in books and heard in movies that it is crushed.

Would the boat crumple up like a tin can, mushing the crew, or would it break apart like an egg and let the water kill them?

I have been told that if a small part of the pressure hull is broken, and the boat is deep enough, that water will move in so fast that the air inside will ignite.

What kind of a death would the men on board have? Let's assume that they are at around 250 meters. Surely this is too deep for the men to just drown. Would that much pressure crush the human body?

I do realize that this is a pretty morbid topic, but I haven't been able to find any information anywhere else. I would really appreciate some details if anyone knows.

Regards.

--
Kristian G. Suarez

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep? Kristian G. Suarez 04/09/2005 07:01AM
Re: What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep? Ron 04/09/2005 10:45AM
Re: What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep? Joe Brennan 04/10/2005 09:52AM
Re: What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep? kurt 04/11/2005 05:32PM
Re: What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep? Harry 04/12/2005 09:59PM
Re: What exactly would happen when a U-boat went too deep? Joe Brennan 04/13/2005 09:22AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.