General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Ship\'s Bell U109
Posted by: Bid Conger ()
Date: March 06, 2001 09:24PM

<HTML>I have acquired a ship\'s bell. It is 8 1/2\" tall, with an 11 3/4\" bottom diameter, and a 6 1/2\" top diameter. It weighs 30 pounds. This is the bell only, with simply a 1 1/2\" hole at the top where it would have been mounted to a stanchion assembly, and where the clapper would have been mounted. The bottom rim is dented around half its perimeter, from the pounding of the clapper. The other half, as would be expected of a ship\'s bell, is undented.

On the flat surface of the top, near the mounting hole is the stamped mark \"U109\".

From the available information, I know there was a U109 in each of the World Wars, with the WWII boat being sunk by a British aircraft southeast of Ireland, in 1943. I don\'t have any information as to the fate of the WWI boat.

Does anyone know whether Uboats had this type bell? If so, is there any information that either of the U109\'s may have been salvaged?

What I really wish to know, of course is whether there is any possibility/liklihood that this bell could have belonged to either boat.

Will appreciate any information or thoughts some of you experts may have on this. Thanks, Bid

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Ship\'s Bell U109 Bid Conger 03/06/2001 09:24PM
RE: Ship\\\'s Bell U109 Anders Wingren 03/06/2001 09:38PM
RE: Ship\\\\\\\'s Bell U109 Michael Lowrey 03/06/2001 11:50PM
Clarification/Correction Michael Lowrey 03/07/2001 01:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.