General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: April 11, 2001 02:18PM

<HTML>Hi Dale,

Go to the U-boat Finder on the home page of this site and enter 166 and you will find some info on U-166, lost in the Gulf of Mexico. As far as I know, she has not been found.

U-166 has been the topic of discussion on this forum a number of times I know of. Do a search for U-166 on this forum (select All Dates and Message Bodies) for these discussions. Note that if she was laying mines perhaps she could have been in the area you mention (which I am not familiar with). There were a couple of types of mines that were launched from torpedo tubes so most any U-boat could carry them. At least one of these types was designed for shallow water.

I think (but don’t know for sure) the water around Tampa (if that is where the Skyway bridge is) is too shallow for a U-boat to operate in, but perhaps one went there to hide while repairing some damage. If the water is that shallow, nobody would have been looking for a U-boat there. Not very likely though.

Most likely the diver you mentioned is mistaken.

Regards,

Ken Dunn
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboats in Gulf of Mexico Dale Jones 04/11/2001 11:26AM
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico Ken Dunn 04/11/2001 02:18PM
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico James Stewart 04/11/2001 09:45PM
RE: Uboats in Gulf of Mexico Fin Bonset 04/12/2001 12:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.