General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: A truly awesome experience!
Posted by: Craig McLean ()
Date: April 23, 2001 10:09PM

<HTML>I will also personally vouch for this 3-piece set. I copied it off our Discovery Channel several years ago. Then I also bought the set from Discovery Channel videos, but they eventually discontinued it, and I thought I might never have a chance to buy it again, and also greatly appreciate the new info.

I saw it for the first time almost 3 years ago. It is what led me to full-time U-boat interest, as I had been generally interested in WWII as a whole prior to that. Interviews with Topp (U-552), Hardegen (U-123), Kretschmer (U-99--passed away almost 2 years now, this August, I believe), Koitschka (U-616--former watch office under Topp), and others, including Werner (a bit of a fabricator, however, according to Horst Bredow at the Archiv, by what he has told me).

Also good pieces by Mulligan, Gannon, and Barnett--famed historians.

Not to mention interviews with previous, surviving Allied commanders, crews, and civilians. Much good wartime footage, too.

The British special (3-part) Grey Wolves is probably much better for a year-by-year trace of the war----but this one is very super for it\'s interviews with the participants in modern times.

Don\'t consider breaking the set up---get the whole thing!

(A really touching interview with Joan Sumner [worked at Western Approaches with the WRAF] is at the end of the second tape. She talks about how Britain was really beginning to feel they had lost it all by the end of 1942...

I love this set, and re-watch it constantly.

Regards,
Craig

(Colgate Salsbury narrated the original that was on TV, and was much better than the narrator on the video copy, but I still recommend it!!!!!)

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
A truly awesome experience! Kris 04/21/2001 10:02PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! MPC 04/22/2001 06:51AM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Kris 04/22/2001 10:56AM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Frank 04/22/2001 01:40PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Kris 04/22/2001 06:35PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Frank 04/22/2001 06:49PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Kris 04/23/2001 12:13PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! George Roumbos 04/22/2001 11:20PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Kris 04/23/2001 12:25PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Craig McLean 04/23/2001 10:09PM
RE: A truly awesome experience! Torlef 04/24/2001 05:15AM
RE: A truly awesome experience! George Roumbos 04/24/2001 08:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.