General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Clash of Wings on PBS
Posted by: Tom Iwanski ()
Date: April 24, 2001 02:51PM

<HTML>For those of you with access to PBS in the U.S., did you catch last night\'s episode of \"Clash of Wings\"? It covered the battle for the Atlantic and had some gun camera footage I had not seen before of attacks on German shipping (including the Tirpitz) in and around Norway. There was also footage of Condor and various seaplane attacks on British shipping as well as a good deal of u-boat footage.

One familiar film clip of a u-boat crew during a dive brought up a question. The film showed a man in the main passageway pulling down on two long levers. The levers seemed to require quite a bit of force to move until they went over center and locked into place. Could these levers have controlled the valves for deisel air intake? I know my description is vague, but I suspect that this film clip is fairly familiar to many of you. I first remember seeing it as a kid when I watched the Battle for the Atlantic episode of the BBC series \"World at War\".

Regards,

Tom

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Clash of Wings on PBS Tom Iwanski 04/24/2001 02:51PM
RE: Clash of Wings on PBS Torlef 04/25/2001 04:51AM
Thanks Tom Iwanski 04/25/2001 01:17PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.