General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: west coast US activity 1941
Posted by: kurt ()
Date: May 09, 2001 03:02PM

<HTML>Boyd and Yoshida (?)\'s Imperial Japanese Submarine Operations During WWII is one place to start, but it concentrates on wartime activity.

(I may be off on the title, I\'m at work)

Basically, after the war started, the IJN subs sank a number of ship off the West Coast, and conducted some aerial recon and unsuccessful bombing missions (incedendiary raids on the forests of the NW) using sub mounted aircraft. Security was kept tightly clamped to avoid a panic, but no significant threat could be mounted by a few planes from the occasional subs.

As the war progressed, IJN sub activity East of Hawaii virtually disappeared after 1942, to the point where convoying was dropped.

But your time frame is before Pearl Harbor. I am not aware of any IJN activity off the west coast in that time frame, but then there may have been some recon/spy missions. Try checking Gordon Prange\'s book on Pearl Harbor. He did a detailed account of the Japanese intelligence work that went on before Pearl Harbor .. it has been a while since I read it, so I forget if sub activites off the West coast were part of it .

There was noo German Naval activity off the US NW coast during the War. Before? I doubt it, but maybe.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
west coast US activity 1941 Arni Hagen 05/09/2001 09:28AM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 Rainer Bruns 05/09/2001 12:07PM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 Capt. George W. Duffy 05/09/2001 01:04PM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 kurt 05/09/2001 03:02PM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 Toni Horodysky 05/19/2001 04:30AM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 Tim 05/20/2001 04:17AM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 Tim 05/20/2001 05:56PM
RE: west coast US activity 1941 Tim 05/21/2001 02:53AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.