General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Wilhem (Willy) Sobanier - What Happened to Him?
Posted by: alexamor ()
Date: September 08, 2007 09:18AM

To our Reading UBoat Audience,

There may be some relatives out there,perhaps distant,who may recall the name of Wilhem (Willy) Sobanier.

(Willy) Sobanier, born in Kiel, Germany, was 24 years of age when he and his UBoat were reported as missing in action, presumed destroyed by a land mine off Salamis, Greece, in late 1942. Speculation persists that Herr Sobanier was perhaps never commissioned as Lieutenant on this particular boat (U133).

My interest in this matter relates to a strong desire my mother has (Elisabeth Grabkowski) in confirming what UBoat Willy Sobanier served on and in understanding what happened to him and his boat. My mother is rather adamant that UBoat U133 was never the boat on which Willy served. Her recollection of dates don't add up, in her estimation.

Willy and my mother were emotionally very close.

Little is known of Willy other than he had a sister, Maria, who may have been 5/6 years older than him. He was an individual highly principled in character and in duty.

His last words to my mother by letter while at sea reportedly said, "At the moment of my death my last thoughts will be of you". These words have haunted my mother all of her life.

Is there any good person out there who may know of the name Willy Sobanier?

Regards - Alexander Grabkowski (Melbourne, Australia)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Wilhem (Willy) Sobanier - What Happened to Him? alexamor 09/08/2007 09:18AM
Wilhelm Sobania U 133 MPC 09/08/2007 10:36AM
Re: Wilhem (Willy) Sobanier - What Happened to Him? Hubertus 09/08/2007 10:59AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.