General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Books written by Geoffrey Brooks
Posted by: Paul ()
Date: December 26, 2007 01:38PM

Hello again Mr. Brooks,

You mention an expedition to locate a gold laden U-boat wreck in Golfo san Matias in 2003.

I have been involved in a number of shipwreck searched, primarily employing 'Klein' (in my opinion, the best) sidescan-sonar equipment. A proton magnetometer would also be useful, as a Type IX boat is a rather large target, and would be hard to miss (with sufficient time and a consistent search pattern), if you even had rough coordinates.

The Winter 2002 volume 7, number 4 issue of the international technical shipwreck diving magazine 'Imersed' contained an article (page 4) in 'Wispered Word' entitled "Going for the Gold" in which it mentioned an un-named group allegedly searching off the Argentine coast for a U-boat wreck they identified as the U-1238, claiming it contained "10 tons of gold" and documents to set up the Fourth Reich in Argentina.

Please tell me this was not the group you were associated with. The U-1238 was never completed, nor commissioned. I did a follow-up reply in the Spring 2003/vol.8.no.1 edition.

Who exactly was this group, and how could they have come up with the idea that the U-1238 could lie in Argentine waters, with gold and such documents?

Regards,

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Books written by Geoffrey Brooks ROBERT M. 12/24/2007 11:41PM
Re: Books written by Geoffrey Brooks Paul 12/26/2007 01:38PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.