General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: What is long signal?
Posted by: Rainer Kolbicz ()
Date: June 21, 2001 05:25PM

<HTML>Hi Craig

In general a Langsignal (long signal) was send by an U-boat when it was on its way home. This was a long message to report successes and the expected arrival date. Those messages were normally avoided on patrol and was normally only used in emergency situations or to report successes.

A Kurzsignal (short signal) was made at 10°W after leaving a French port, to report that they had crossed the Biscay safely. Short signals were also send to report a sighting, the current position or weather reports.

The messages were coded in different enigma types. The Kurzsignalschlüssel (short message cipher) was used for the short messages, for the weather report they used a Wetterkurzschlüssel (short weather cipher). The long messages were coded in a different type.
The British were probably able to distinguish between the different ciphers in 1940. But they had not broken the cipher in 1940. Probably they realized that the U-boat commander was not talking about the weather when making a long signal.

I think they were able to differ a Allied signal from a German. Different types of radio transmitters are making specific signals (correct me, if I am wrong). The British intelligence would have recognized a Telefunken when they heard one.

Regards
Rainer</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
What is long signal? Craig Bierko 06/20/2001 08:23PM
RE: What is long signal? Rainer Kolbicz 06/21/2001 05:25PM
coded signals how sent on u-boats? ray schwartz 06/22/2001 07:12PM
RE: What is long signal? Oliver 06/22/2001 10:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.