General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: u-530 & u-977
Posted by: Robin Edwards ()
Date: December 08, 2000 01:38AM

<HTML>To. Dave McCaulley
Re: U-530 & U-977
While I do not have copies of their logs you might find the book u977 written by the commander after the war gives a good account of his journey from the coast of Norway in May 1945 to Argentina. The reason it took so long was that a large percentage of the trip (66 days) was conducted under water using the Schnorcel breathing device to avoid allied forces. Using the schnorcel in those days entailled a very slow passage of only a couple of knots/hour in good weather. The u977 also put ashore several crew members many of them NCOs who chose to surrender in Norway
The U-530 was on its way to patrol of the American seaboard at the time of the surrender and would also have taken some time by underwater travel with schnorchel to reach Argentina. That it had a shorter distance to travel is why it arrived earlier. If I can locate any written records from books relating direcly to the Boats logs I will let you know.
Regards
Robin</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
u-530 &amp; u-977 Dave McCaulley 12/07/2000 06:49PM
RE: u-530 &amp; u-977 Robin Edwards 12/08/2000 01:38AM
RE: u-530 &amp; u-977 Jerry Mason 12/08/2000 02:59AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.