General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U 505 Question
Posted by: von Schoenvorts ()
Date: March 11, 2008 05:50AM

Friends,

I've been meaning to ask this question since November but, as I'm sure we all know, there aren't enough hours in the day. Every year for the past seven or eight years my girlfriend and I have gone to Chicago and try to visit the MSI. Each time I go through the U 505 I see something new and get told by the tour guide to "stay with the group" because I tend to hang back a bit. I always see something new and again noticed something I hadn't before this last time.

At the very front of the electric room and on both sides are what appear to be artitulated shafts with u-joints (just like a vehicle's drive shaft). They appear to go out through the pressure hull. To me they seemed to be too far forward to have anything to do with the stern planes. They no longer allow photos so I can't post a pic but was wondering if anyone could tell me what they are for (based on my very poor description)?

As an aside I've been a proud member of the Conning Tower for several years and, Gummi, I intend to intend to contribute as normal.

v. S

Mit Vereinten Kraften

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U 505 Question von Schoenvorts 03/11/2008 05:50AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.