General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs
Posted by: Vidart ()
Date: August 13, 2008 07:42PM

Hi
I don't know where Timm was imprisoned, but as an example I can list the PoW story of another U-boat captain, - Hans Falke of U 992.
He probably went another path of PoW camps than Timm, since they had very different backgrounds.

Timm was interned in Singapore and wasn't sent to England until July 1946. U-992 was brought to Lisahally in Northern Ireland from Norway right after the end of the war, and there Falke's time as a PoW started. Timm also held a higher rank than Falke, and Timm had also been rewarded a RK (Falke had got a German Cross in Gold). These latter factors could also perhaps cause that they were sent to different camps.

However the story may illustrate the winding road of a U-boat commander in captivity. But as you say there could be special camps for officers, so their roads may have crossed.

In the "official version" Falke was interned in the Llanmartin camp, but from the list below you will see that he visited quite a few. The list comes from copies of his PoW index card and the "Record of transfers, casualties etc" card which Falke sent me last year:

Exerpt from my account of U 992 and Falke's war story:

After the surrender, U-992 arrived Lisahally at Londonderry on the 23rd of May 1945. The next day Falke was transferred from Londonderry harbour to PoW Camp 172, Holywood Camp at Belfast in Northern Ireland. Here he was registered in the prisoner system, and was assigned prisoner number B 132190 which identified him until his release.

Two days later (May 26th) he was transferred to PoW Camp no. 9, Kempton Park in Sunbury on Thames in Surrey in England, which was a large reception camp.

After this he had a short stay in PoW Camp no.159, Butterwick Camp i Boythorpe in Yorkshire, England, wherefrom he the 4th of June was transferred to PoW camp no. 164, Weston Lane Camp in Otley in Yorkshire.

He was held there until September 28th 1945 when he was transferred to PoW Camp no. 17, Lodge Moor Camp at Sheffield in Yorkshire. At Lodge Moor Falke was held until August 22nd 1946 interrupted by a 20 days stay in March 1946 when he was sent to “London District Cage” (LDC), - an interrogation centre in an estate in Kensington Gardens, London.

On the 22nd of August 1946, Falke was transferred to the large camp Llanmartin (pronounced Tlanmartin) (PoW Camp 184) in Magor at Newport in Monmouthshire in Wales.

Falke’s last “board and lodging” prior to his release was PoW camp no. 23 Green Fields Camp in Schrewsbury, Shropshire, from May 1st until May 19th 1947, pending repatriation. On May 19th he was released in Hull for his return to Germany.

The last "board and lodging" may be a bit uncertain since the British system often was a bit confusing, up to three or four different camps could have the same camp number, in this case camp no 23 also could have been Kingwood PoW camp. However I think Green fields was the most likely candidate.

Cheers
Vidar

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat Officer POWs Jerry Cornford 08/13/2008 12:20AM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs FAlmeida 08/13/2008 06:55PM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs Vidart 08/13/2008 07:42PM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs Vidart 08/13/2008 07:43PM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs Jerry Cornford 08/13/2008 09:21PM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs R.Jackson 02/23/2009 04:54PM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs Andy W 02/24/2009 11:15AM
Re: U-Boat Officer POWs Johnny 03/12/2009 12:44AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.