General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Deadlight Tow - tugs & tenders!
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: June 27, 2001 07:14PM

<HTML>Hi all,

Time for a new thread!

Does anyone know from what UK ports the Deadlight tows started - or were the boats designated for deep six on Deadlight sent under their own power?

I have a copy of the excellent \'U-Boats\' by Miller, which gives some info but I\'m curious! It states that the Norwegian and German ported boats \'sailed for Loch Ryan / Lisahally.\' Which - in response to an earlier post on \'Welsh\' U-boats - clearly means that the German ported boats would have gone \'northabout\'? Did they? Or were they put into a UK port on the South coast and towed from there?

Anyone who can fling light on this please do so!

One other thing. When I was back home in Holyhead - that\'s North Wales for the geographically challenged! - there was the hulk of a tug on Salt Island pier. She looked \'European\' and built thirties / forties - straight stem, low freeboard, beautifully shaped spoon counter - and some local scuttlebutt said she was an ex-Kriegsmarine tender to one of the big battleships. I\'ll have to chase that one up but apparently she was an ex-Kriegsmarine unit. Apparently she had come to the UK, worked herself flat out for various owners and had eventually sunk in Liverpool docks, was raised and brought to Holyhead where she is to be restored to sailing trim.

Anyone an expert on surface boats, particularly tenders?

Aye,

John
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Deadlight Tow - tugs &amp; tenders! John Griffiths 06/27/2001 07:14PM
RE: Deadlight Tow - tugs &amp; tenders! chris lee 06/28/2001 01:19AM
RE: Deadlight Tow - tugs &amp; tenders! Vin 06/28/2001 05:28AM
RE: Deadlight Tow - tugs &amp; tenders Chris / Vin John Griffiths 06/28/2001 04:11PM
RE: Deadlight Tow - tugs &amp; tenders Chris / Vin chris lee 07/02/2001 01:40AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.