General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: COLABEE Ownership
Posted by: Eric Stone ()
Date: October 02, 2009 08:02PM

Rainer,

Thanks. I heard from Rodger at Miramar in the mean-time as well, which I think ties in nicely with your info. He gave me permission to post his response here:

"Hello Eric,
What an interesting question!. The website data under ownership is still being set up for registered as opposed to "main" ownership, so my entry on COLABEE is not entirely correct. The ownership record should read:
1920-1937 PAGASSET - U.S. Shipping Board, Portsmouth NH
1937-1937 PAGASSET - U.S. Maritime Commission, Portsmouth NH
1937-1941 COLABEE - Colabee SS Co Inc (mngrs American Range Lines Inc), Wilmington DE
1941-1950 COLABEE - Illinois Atlantic Corp (mngrs Edward P. Farley & Co Inc), Wilmington DE
1950-1953 BETSY OLSON - Oliver J. Olson & Co, San Francisco
1953-1960 CHUKOH MARU - Chuo Kisen K.K., Osaka

Company ownership 1937-1950 : Colabee SS Co was one of four single-ship companies owned by John C. Rogers & Co of Philadelphia (in 1937 they bought COLABEE and three Submarine Boat design ships, registering each under a single-ship company. Rogers used American Range Lines Inc as his management vehicle and it operated from 860 Drexel Building, 5th and Chestnut Streets, Philadelphia. The individual companies, however, were all registered at 110 West 10th Street, Wilmington DE. They were not, as far as I know, connected to American-Hawaiian.

In early 1941, all four ships were sold. COLABEE went to the Illinois Atlantic Corp as above. That company, managed by Edward P. Farley & Co Inc, was I assume connected to the American-Hawaiian SS Co. Both companies operated from the same address on the east coast, from 90 Broad Street, New York. It may well have been the case that the vessel was jointly owned by American-Hawaiian and Farley, although share ownership is more difficult to trace.

Rodger Haworth"

He went on to say the following in another message:

"Incidentally, I've just found another reference to Edward P. Farley & Co Inc. They ran two companies, Illinois Atlantic Corp & Michigan Atlantic Corp. My bet would be that Farleys were partially funded and sponsored by American-Hawaiian."

Back to my thoughts now:
I'm thinking that if this had been a "normal" transaction the COLABEE would have been renamed like the dozens of other ships American-Hawaiian bought and sold over the decades. There must have been some little financial/legal/tax reason to keep COLABEE under the ownership Illinois Atlantic Corp, even though it looks like American-Hawaiian was a not so hidden sponsor.

It's a small niggle, but do you think this warrants Illinois Atlantic Corp getting at least an honorable mention as owner?

At the end of the day I think I'll include COLABEE on my list with the caveat about the joint ownership.

Best Regards,

Eric Stone
www.ssarkansan.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
COLABEE Ownership Eric Stone 10/01/2009 04:40PM
Re: COLABEE Ownership Rainer 10/01/2009 09:13PM
Re: COLABEE Ownership Eric Stone 10/02/2009 02:23AM
Re: COLABEE Ownership Rainer 10/02/2009 05:01PM
Re: COLABEE Ownership Eric Stone 10/02/2009 08:02PM
Re: COLABEE Ownership Rainer 10/03/2009 01:24PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.