General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Japanese I-boat Merchants in French Ports
Date: February 07, 2010 09:39PM

What is a reasonable offer? $300.00 strikes me as insane. The thing is that the massive I-400 class is exciting to a lot of people (in a "Luftwaffe 1946" like vein) but these boats saw virtually no combat. So,unfortunately,that book is unlikely to have much on what I'm really looking for.

The B-class was the most significant fleet boat in the IJN. (I-19 fired perhaps the most deadly single torpedo spread of the war which sank the WASP and a destroyer and damaged the North Carolina.) B-class based scouting aircraft were used to reconnoiter virtually all of the allied fleet anchorages in the Pacific in the early phase of the war and I-25 used it's aircraft to bomb Oregon - to no avail.

Though Germany experimentally pioneered launching seaplanes from the back of a U-boat in WWI against the British coast and the French Sarcouf modernized the concept between the wars,it was only Imperial Japan's B-class boats that effectively and regularly used this kind of system in combat after that. Why these boats get short shrift compared to the I-400 class is beyond me.

Thanks,

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Japanese I-boat Merchants in French Ports I-Boat Interloper 02/07/2010 05:37PM
Re: Japanese I-boat Merchants in French Ports ROBERT M. 02/07/2010 08:49PM
Re: Japanese I-boat Merchants in French Ports I-Boat Interloper 02/07/2010 09:39PM
Re: Japanese I-boat Merchants in French Ports ROBERT M. 02/08/2010 05:19AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.