General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Prien's class number from graduation
Posted by: Vidart ()
Date: March 18, 2010 12:32PM

Ken,
That was an informative and good answer to a rather confusing topic.
However, while you're at it, I have some comments/question, maybe a little off-the-original-topic.

They regard the three Gentlemen Prien, Georg-Wilhelm Schulz and Jost Metzler.

If I have gotten it right, they were all HSO's and came into the Kriegsmarine after the Niobe accident.

I refer to the book German U-boat commanders of World War II by Busch and Röll.
This book uses the notation of "Class" as you name "Crew" above.

Prien is listed as "Class 1933/31", Schulz "Entry 1932/30" and Metzler as "Class 1932".

There is and editor's note under Prien regarding 33/31: "Class 1933/31 was a special induction of 15 junior officers from the mercantile marine to replace naval cadets of the small 1931 intake drowned in the Niobe sail training ship disaster of 1932. See also Bleichrodt." And indeed, Heinrich Bleichrodt is also listed as Class 1933/31.

The book uses "Class" to signify the original entry into the Kriegsmarine, and "Entry" is used for the time the officer commenced his career in the Seaman Branch of the Kriegsmarine after entering via an ancillary branch such as Coastal Artillery, Ordnance or Medical. (A digression; For Siegfried Pregel one can also read: "Entry X/1933 Croatian Navy; XI/1942 Kriegsmarine; Kptlt seniority 1.2.1943" )

Some are also noted as "Enlistment as rating ..." ot "Enlisted rating ...." or "Entry as rating..."

Schulz, who came from the Merchant Navy writes in his book "Ãœber dem nassen Abgrund", - I try to translate (and shorten down a bit):

"On the 3rd of October 1933 at an age of 27 I was enrolled in the German Kriegsmarine...."
How come that at this time German Merchant Navy officers, Graduate engineers, physicians and ship-builders after they had competed their studies were enrolled in the Kriegsmarine? The main reason was the capsizing of the Niobe on the 26th of July 1932, where of the crew of 110, mainly cadets, only 40 were saved.....
And with that my career in the Mercant Navy came to an end."

Metzler (who had sailed with Prien in the Merchant navy) writes in his book "The laughing cow":
"Finally both of us (Metzler and Prien) joined the German Navy, for after the sinking of the Niobe certain gaps had to be filled among the officers".

Why is Prien and Metzler listed with "Class" and Schulz with "Entry", and why with different years?
And why is Prien listed with 33/31 and Metzler with 32?

Errors in the book, or other reasons?

Rgds
Vidar

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Prien's class number from graduation Kapt.Prien 03/16/2010 04:07PM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation Ken Dunn 03/18/2010 12:30AM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation Vidart 03/18/2010 12:32PM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation FAlmeida 03/18/2010 12:48PM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation Vidart 03/19/2010 10:38AM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation Ken Dunn 03/19/2010 02:33PM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation Ken Dunn 03/18/2010 06:44PM
Re: Prien's class number from graduation Kapt.Prien 03/21/2010 01:27AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.