General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Juergen Oesten
Posted by: JTrain ()
Date: August 16, 2010 12:17AM

Was surprised at the lack of commentary on this in the forum section. Usually when one of the big names starts on his final patrol, there are some notes of condolensces mixed in with a story or two.

Oesten seemed to have a remarkable career as a U-boat skipper. Not too many who were commanders in the war's opening days were commanders as the war ended. In fact, I really can't think of any. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Oesten often gets overlooks amongst the U-boat aces, but his accomplishments (No. 29 on the most successful list), plus his longevity (14 patrols, 581 days at sea, left for his first patrol in Oct '39, returned from his final patrol in April '45) are a powerful combination. Many of the high scorers never had to deal with the improved Allied convoy defenses that kicked in from 1941 onwards.

A convincing argument could be made that Oesten's sinkings and survival ability place him in the top ten U-boat commanders of the war. He certainly gets my vote for the most "under-rated" U-boat skipper, as you really don't see him talked about in the upper pantheon of the U-boat, when his accomplishments and survival skill are every bit as noteworth as the skill and daring of a Prien or Schepke.

Out of curiosity, what was his post WWII life/career like? What was he like as a person?

JT

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Juergen Oesten Hubertus 08/11/2010 03:29AM
Re: Juergen Oesten jcrt 08/11/2010 09:10AM
Re: Juergen Oesten JTrain 08/16/2010 12:17AM
Re: Juergen Oesten Lawrence 08/25/2010 03:33PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.