General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
The U-Boats that Survived - The Whole Story
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: January 10, 2011 10:44PM

Dear All,

In June 1970, I published an article in the INRO Journal “Warship International” called “The U-Boats that Survived”.

At that time the Internet had not been invented, and very few source documents were available in the public domain. Thus, despite getting a great deal of help from the Royal Navy, the US Navy and other correspondents across the world, my paper was far from comprehensive, and even included what I now know to be some errors.

For the past 6 months or so, I have been researching a re-draft of my 1970 article and, with Gudmundur Helgason’s fine support, have published a series of mini-articles on various aspects of the U-Boat story on his excellent website - uboat.net - including one that I wrote jointly with Dr Axel Niestle (The Definitive List of the U-Boats that Surrendered).

I am therefore pleased to say that my project is now almost complete, and that my updated article “The U-Boats that Survived - The Whole Story” is also now available on uboat.net . In essence, it is a précis of the various mini-articles and so, if anyone wishes to dive deeper into the stories behind the various sections of the article, then I have listed the former at the end of the paper.

Finally, I hope that people will find this a useful contribution to the history of the U-Boats that have seen the light of day since the end of the war. However, if anyone in the U-Boat fraternity notices any inaccuracies (or typos!), I would welcome the correct information.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The U-Boats that Survived - The Whole Story Derek Waller 01/10/2011 10:44PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.