General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Witte Book
Posted by: Eric Stone ()
Date: May 03, 2011 05:18PM

Ken & Akerberg,

Thanks for the quick response.

Looking at the index for the book, I assumed he didn't cover the large number of sinkings in great detail based on the number of pages devoted to U-159, but thought he might have expanded on the famous 'safe voyage and good liberty' wishes.

I'm actually in touch with the 3rd Mate he questioned and hope to have an some more details on my site soon. The KTB and Schussmeldung provided good technical data.

I've reached out to his son, Dr. Witte on the Book's site, so we'll see if that results in anything.

Akerburg has one of the best photos I've seen (the one on ubootwaffe is only a sliver), and the sketch seems to be more detailed as well:
[www.u-historia.com]
I've seen some other references to the zodiac with respect to this emblem, which makes sense with the sun disk. I wasn't sure if the central image was a ram or a bird. Other symbols could represent Mars the god of war, retrograde, and water. Colors are another matter.

I also wasn't sure if there was some connection (An attempt at humor, or subtle political statement) to a controversial Dr. Alfred Witte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranian_astrology), the founder of Uranian Astrology, which was happening at this time in Hamburg, or perhaps it was just a coincidence.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Eric Stone
www.ssarkansan.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Witte Book Eric Stone 05/03/2011 01:36AM
Re: Witte Book vito 05/03/2011 08:09AM
Re: Witte Book Ã…kerberg 05/03/2011 11:07AM
Re: Witte Book Eric Stone 05/03/2011 05:18PM
Re: Witte Book Ã…kerberg 05/04/2011 06:22AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.