General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-1407 (HMS Meteorite) in the Royal Navy - 1945 to 1949
Posted by: Derek Waller ()
Date: October 31, 2011 05:44PM

Dear All,

In addition to my earlier paper about the U-Boats in the Royal Navy after May 1945, I have now written a stand-alone article about U-1407 (HMS Meteorite) and its time in the Royal Navy between 1945 and 1949.

Gudmundur has just kindly published the paper on “uboat.net”, and it describes the story of U-1407’s acquisition in 1945, the efforts to hide this activity from the Russians, and then U-1407’s modification and repair at Barrow prior to its sea trials: first without its “Walter” engine fitted, and then with the addition of the HTP-fuelled gas turbine.

Finally, I record its disposal as scrap in 1949, which was authorised just 17 days after the final report on HMS Meteorite’s operational trials had been submitted to the Admiralty.

I suspect that no similarly comprehensive version of the story of U-1407’s acquisition and service in the Royal Navy has been attempted before, and I therefore hope that people will find it readable, interesting and informative.

Yours aye

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-1407 (HMS Meteorite) in the Royal Navy - 1945 to 1949 Derek Waller 10/31/2011 05:44PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.