General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-Boat Periscope Rangefinder
Posted by: Hit72 ()
Date: March 20, 2013 08:05PM

I can confirm the information provided by Snakedoc, that's a very interesting find.

The tool was used first vertically to determine distance using known or estimated target height (At mast top, superstructure, funnel, etc) and then rotated 90ยบ and used horizontally to determine angle on the bow, i.e. relative inclination to the observer's line of sight, which in turn allowed calculating the target heading. The periscopes also had some more interesting tools, like the "fixed line in space" and a secondary ocular where you would see s aseries of adjustable scales to construct the firing solution.

Is the graticle still in the lense, or does the part you purchased only have the double prism? I'd kill to see how the reticle looked like, there are no trustworthy images of that anywhere to my knowledge :-(

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boat Periscope Rangefinder Pat89 01/26/2013 12:19AM
Re: U-Boat Periscope Rangefinder Joseph Chillino 01/26/2013 12:38AM
Re: U-Boat Periscope Rangefinder SnakeDoc 01/26/2013 09:46PM
Re: U-Boat Periscope Rangefinder Pat89 02/01/2013 02:18PM
Re: U-Boat Periscope Rangefinder Hit72 03/20/2013 08:05PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.