General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Information on G7a
Posted by: maxine ()
Date: March 06, 2013 01:56AM

Yes thank you I should have explained that I already got that far. After careful inspection internally, some cleaning and lubrication it turned over OK by hand. The air inlet, combustion pot and associated lines were thorouchly borescoped and look good as do the cylinders, valves etc. In fact so far there is little sign of any corrosion or damage anywhere internally. So as a next step I machined an adapter so I could introduce air pressure into the combustion pot. The adapter was threaded in to the top of the combustion chamber where the igniter goes. I started with just 10 psi and it rolled over one piston stroke. With a little help on the output shaft it would roll over one stroke at a time. At 25 psi it turned over slowly hesitating for a few seconds at each piston stroke. At 45 psi it runs slowly but continuously.

I thank you for the reminder about pressurized gasses. I should have stated that I am a Chemical Engineer with 40 years experience in petrochemical manufacturing and am well aware of pressurized gas dangers. In my job I deal with high pressure and highly volatile gasses of all sorts as well as superheated steam boilers and and turbines that generate/use steam up to 2500 psi.

We do indeed intend to fire the engine assuming everything checks out good in the end physically and assuming I can find enough technical detail to convince myself it is safe.

So an example of the kind of information I would be looking for would be as follows: It appears that the high pressure air supply from the air flask attaches at the engine to a pressure regulating valve. The discharge from that regulating valve then feeds the combustion chamber at the burner. What pressure does the regulating system reduce the air pressure to as it goes to the burner. I have lots more technical questions like that example and was hoping to find a knowledgeable source.

Thanks again for the response.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Information on G7a maxine 03/05/2013 06:18PM
Re: Information on G7a Natter 03/05/2013 08:55PM
Re: Information on G7a maxine 03/06/2013 01:56AM
Re: Information on G7a Natter_not logged in 03/21/2013 10:46AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.