General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Kptlt Klaus Scholtz, U-108
Posted by: jcrt ()
Date: June 04, 2013 10:44AM

Hi Adam, I would think the number would be high, once war had been declared and the U-boat building programme began to increase the fleet numbers, the pre war U-boat I WO and II WO's and some NCO's, after passing U-Commander training had been allocated new boats, as well as replacing losses, then as the demand to appoint commanders for the increasing numbers of newly built boats outgrew the numbers of qualified officers with WO experience readily available, new men had to be found from somewhere. BdU, alert to this problem accordingly searched for any suitable officers. With the 'Fame & Glory' the U-boat arm was achieving new officer candidates, where ever they was serving in the armed forces, could either ask to be transferred to the U-boat arm, or, if they showed potential, be drafted. I expect the latter happened more and more later in the war as losses grew. Another example of what you are stating being Kpt G.Hessler (U107), he had served on the torpedo boat Falke before transferring, where he had U-boat training from 4/40 - 7/40, then CO training 8/40 - 9/40, going straight on to command U107 without any WO experience. The book German U-boat Commanders of World War II (ISBN 1-557500045-2), gives the career details of each CO, may assist you. Regards John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Kptlt Klaus Scholtz, U-108 Adam Thompson 06/04/2013 08:34AM
Re: Kptlt Klaus Scholtz, U-108 jcrt 06/04/2013 10:44AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.