General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: RAF Liberator loss, Skagerrak 27 February 1945
Posted by: Metman ()
Date: October 01, 2013 09:57AM

My thanks, John. My query arose from a thread on another forum (RAFCommands) which was attempting to determine the reason why the Liberator failed to return from the sortie. There was a suggestion it had been hit by flack, as "Liberator XB-P of the same squadron reported a loud explosion at 0304 hours, which may have been KG964 blowing up. The crew of XB-P also reported the presence of a so-called Sperrbrecher (a ship equipped with ant-aircraft guns and other artillery) in the area, and reported light flak passing over their aircraft. This may have been what caused the the loss of KG964 (AIR27/1389)".

I thought it worthwhile trying to definitely exclude the possibility of the aircraft being lost either during an attack on a U-boat, or by Luftwaffe action (LEMB forum). Your response, together with that from LEMB, does that.

Many thanks.

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
RAF Liberator loss, Skagerrak 27 February 1945 Metman 09/27/2013 09:36PM
Re: RAF Liberator loss, Skagerrak 27 February 1945 jcrt 10/01/2013 08:55AM
Re: RAF Liberator loss, Skagerrak 27 February 1945 Metman 10/01/2013 09:57AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.