General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Sloop IBIS
Posted by: Rainer ()
Date: March 22, 2014 11:51AM

Hi Francesco

Your access to sources about the air war is certainly better than mine as it is not my field of research. I think we can agree that the torpedo hit on HMS IBIS was achieved by one of the S.79 of 130° Gruppo, but I have some doubts about the reported bomb hit on HMS IBIS because this is only mentioned by the S.O.I.S. - another unclear detail is the number of survivors which is reported as somewhere between 101 and 110.

Unfortunately there was no inquiry about the loss of HMS IBIS, but you should probably take a look on the following documents in the National Archives:

ADM 267/115: Torpedo and Mine - HMS IBIS

ADM 358/1060: Commander H M Darell-Brown, RN: report of death from wounds. Temporary Lieutenant D'A M Stephens, RNVR and Temporary Lieutenant A Thorpe, RNR: missing presumed dead; HMS Ibis; operations in Western Mediterrannean, off French North Africa; 10 November 1942

Best regards
Rainer

Crew member of uboat.net

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Sloop IBIS Francesco Mattesini 03/16/2014 10:12AM
Re: Sloop IBIS Rainer 03/19/2014 09:09PM
Re: Sloop IBIS Francesco Mattesini 03/21/2014 07:38AM
Re: Sloop IBIS Rainer 03/22/2014 11:51AM
Re: Sloop IBIS Francesco Mattesini 03/22/2014 04:01PM
Re: Sloop IBIS francesco Mattesini 03/21/2014 09:08AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.