General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Query re compressed air on submarines
Posted by: Sean ()
Date: September 12, 2017 05:54PM

As someone who has a fondness for submarine movies (and, to a lesser extent, novels) I have a question I hope someone on this forum can answer. As I understand it compressed air is used to blow the tanks to rise to the surface. I have never come across anything in movies or books that mentions where this air comes from. Surely a large quantity is involved, and being a submarine air must be in short supply. I have never heard a character express doubt about having enough air to blow the tanks (that I can remember at the moment,anyway). Plenty of concern about enough air to breath but not about having the air to blow the tanks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
So where does that air come from, is it recaptured when the tanks are flooded so that the same quantity of air is used the whole time?
I await enlightenment, thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Query re compressed air on submarines Sean 09/12/2017 05:54PM
Re: Query re compressed air on submarines ARANTALES 10/02/2017 05:43PM
Re: Query re compressed air on submarines Scott Sorenson 10/04/2017 02:20AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.