General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U923
Posted by: ARANTALES ()
Date: April 08, 2018 11:48AM

From a message of the company that raised the wreck of U923 postwar (message located in the Marinearchiv of the Bibliothek für Zeitgeschichte, Stuttgart) I quote:"Der Wracktaucher erkannte an der sichtbaren Außenhaus keine Beschädigungen. Das Wrack lag mit lediglich 20 Grad Schlagseite auf dem Grund. Ich tendiere daher auch eher zum Befund Minentreffer und vermute ein Loch unterm Kiel."

Translated that reads like: "The diver did not see any damage to the visible part of the hull. The wreck sat on the bottom with just a 20° list. I therefor think it more plausible the boat hit a mine, holing the boat under the keel."

There is no mention of an aircraft bomb having been found at the wreck site. There is only mention of torpedoes etc. found aboard the wreck.

For DUIKBOOT - [historisches-marinearchiv.de] - we stick to U923 having hit a mine.

John, please, what source writes about an aircraft bomb having been found at the wreck site?

Best regards,
Walter

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U923 jcrt 04/04/2018 07:09PM
Re: U923 ARANTALES 04/08/2018 11:48AM
Re: U923 jcrt 04/08/2018 12:49PM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.