General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Mediterranean boats?
Posted by: Scott Sorenson ()
Date: February 18, 2019 10:22PM

Hi jcrt,

I hope this helps you out a little bit. This is all that I have on the boats you requested about.

U-264

As far as I can tell this boat never tried to make it into the Med. For her final 5th patrol, she was again in the North Atlantic. She was sunk by depth charges dropped by the British sloops HMS Woodpecker and HMS Starling on 19 February 1944 in position 48degrees 31minN 22 degrees 05 minW

U-455

Her ninth foray saw the U-boat transit the heavily defended Strait of Gibraltar into the Med, leaving St. Nazaire on 6 January 1944 and arriving in Toulon on 3 February.

On 5 April 1944, U-455 was lost with all hands, sunk by a mine. The German navy did not provide the sub's captain with their latest minefield maps and U-455 was driven straight into a German minefield.

U-466

Her fifth patrol involved the U-boat's passage to Toulon in southern France. This voyage included trafficking the heavily defended Strait of Gibraltar. She passed the Rock on 22 March 1944 and arrived in Toulon on the 30th, having been attacked by the British submarine HMS Uproar The vessel fired four torpedoes at the U-boat; they all missed.

U-466 was severely damaged in a Unite States Army Air Force raid on Toulon. As a result, she was scuttled on 19 August 1944 following the Allied invasion of southern France (Operation Dragoon). She was the last U-boat to be scuttled in the Med.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Mediterranean boats? jcrt 02/18/2019 07:18PM
Re: Mediterranean boats? Scott Sorenson 02/18/2019 10:22PM
Re: Mediterranean boats? jcrt 02/19/2019 01:56PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.