General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: Henry R. Mallory
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: August 27, 2001 11:06PM

<HTML>Hi Albert,

You can try writing to:

The National Maritime Center
4200 Wilson Blvd.
Suite 510
Arlington, VA 22203-1804

Ask for the information on the Feb 2, 1943 voyage. This is where I got the crew list for the SS Cardonia when she was sunk by U-126. The list I got had the names and Social Security numbers for the crew but their addresses etc. were omitted for “privacy reasons”. There were a couple of passengers on her when she was sunk and their names didn’t appear on the list but I don’t think they got on the ship in the states. They may be able to tell you where to get a passenger list for that voyage though. With a crew list, you might be able to find a crewmember. Note that there were only 2 civilian passengers. Given that the passengers were military there is no telling what you will have to go through to get their names. The National Archives might have a list of survivors. You can e-mail them at inquire@arch2.nara.gov.

The Passenger Ship, SS HENRY R. MALLORY, was torpedoed by the German submarine U-402 (von Forstner) at 0538 GCT on February 2, 1943 about 600 miles SSW of Iceland (55-18 North/26-29 West) while en route from New York to Reykjavik, Iceland via Halifax, Nova Scotia in Convoy SC- 118 (#33) with a cargo of clothing, food, trucks, tanks, cigarettes, and 610 bags of mail and 383 passengers. The passengers were 136 U.S. Army personnel, 72 Marine Corps personnel, 173 Navy personnel and 2 civilians. In addition to the passengers, the ship carried a crew of 77 and an Armed Guard of 34. There were 270 men lost and 224 were saved. It is definitely known that 39 crewmembers were lost.

If the person you are interested in was an Armed Guard you might try the webmaster at is www.armed-guard.com. He may also be able to help point you to a passenger list.

I’ll send more info by e-mail.

Regards,

Ken Dunn
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Henry R. Mallory Albert Dietz 08/27/2001 08:04PM
RE: Henry R. Mallory Ken Dunn 08/27/2001 11:06PM
RE: Henry R. Mallory Blake Mitchell 08/27/2001 11:16PM
RE: Henry R. Mallory Antonio Veiga 08/29/2001 03:32PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.