General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Rank Abbreviations
Posted by: Cazash ()
Date: August 26, 2020 07:52AM

Wow - thanks Michael

In that case he would have had access and probably be the owner of a pair of binoculars wouldn't he?

We have a real mystery unwinding.....

The photo is of a young man (much too young to be W Sch (the initials on the badge etc) - but all the insignia etc add up to being W SCH (but he was killed when U31 went down in March 40 - however, these items were given to my great uncle in the capture in Nov 40.

I can only now assume for whatever reason the seaman giving these over was in possession of W SCH property for whatever reason..........

The photo (he was a seaman 2nd class and a machineist from the emblems on his photo sleeve.....

He was too young being born 1904 to be part of the WW1 timings, and too old to be the man in the photo (unless he was in the kreigmarine for many years I suppose - did the kreigsmarine exist between the wars.

Am now wondering if the photo is of him when he first joined and he rose through the ranks over the years.....

Thanks again for your help in piecing together this mystery.

Caz

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Rank Abbreviations Cazash 08/25/2020 05:34PM
Re: Rank Abbreviations Michael Lowrey 08/26/2020 03:45AM
Re: Rank Abbreviations Cazash 08/26/2020 07:52AM
Re: Rank Abbreviations Nicofededoc 09/19/2020 02:07AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.